Tuesday, September 22, 2009

If its not one thing its another...

So I have been fighting this lower back pain......that shoots down my leg for years... I mean years... Since I was 17. There was NOTHING that caused it it just literally started one day. Through the years it has come and gone in episodes of 2-3 week intervals and with bedrest, ice, a brace, and meds it would eventually go away. Now don't get me wrong...I would always feel that twinge in the lower back but it was not as severe as an "episode". My current episode has now lasted since June and its literally driving me mental. Last week at night I just cried. I have three places I try to sleep at night... I go from the bed....to hard...to the couch where I literally sleep with my knees bent up by my chin...to the air mattress that I have in the living room...its seems to be soft enough to squish just the right places and with all my pillows I seem to get the most sleep...yet I cant sleep there all night.. Not to mention its where I rest during the day. Its absolutely frustrating. Its like there is a fiery hot poker in my back all the time then someone jams it further in and moves it around...the pain travels all the way down the back of my thigh, down the side of my calf, into my ankle....I HATE it....and I do not use that word lightly. I encourage Pokey to say he dislikes things and not use the word hate...but I HATE this pain. It is making me miserable at the moment.

So I had my MRI, I had my consult with the neurologist, and yesterday I saw the other neurologist, that the first one suggested I see....Why see two you ask...yeah I asked that as well...because though I have degeneration and bulging of some disks and a small annular tear, Dr. #1 did not think that structurally there was any reason for all the pain. So she said PT... I need more than PT...even I know that...Ive been doing PT for the hips and core strengthening which should help that area as well and there has been no improvement...( just like there has been no improvement in the hips but that's another blog ) So I went...I managed to get in a week early because someone canceled, but that in itself sucked butt. I ended up waiting one hour and twenty minutes to see this doc after I had already been there for an hour for additional xrays! I didn't complain because after all I complained that I could not wait another week and needed to be seen sooner than later. So we went over everything.....again and again...Yes the pain does indeed go all the way down...yes my left leg is shorter, yes it hurts to sit more than stand at times, yes the only comfortable position is literally on my belly.....please please help me.

I just cant see what would be the problem on the xrays or mri....at this point I lost it. I'm not making this up, my life is miserable right now please get this pain out of my butt!!!! So he suggested yet another test a CT-myelogram basically the inject the spine to see both the bony structures as well as the nerves, it serves as a better diagnostic tool than a MRI or CT alone. Here my fear...putting a needle in my spine....When I had Pokey...I ended up with 9 poke marks in my back...and when things were finally done I ended up with an accidental total spine block that prevented me from breathing on my own...see my fear... I know they wont do that but they do have to administer a small amount of anesthetic before they inject the contrast into the spine so its pretty freaking scary.

After our appointment he came to the conclusion that he is 98% sure its not the bulging disks at all, some pain may be related to the annular tear and leaking fluid but he sure its....drum roll.........a hypermobile sacroiliac joint. Gee go figure....me have another hypermobile joint...just add it to the list....hey at least it is not dislocating! But everything fits, the "sciatic" pain the location, the non trauma, Ehlers-Danlos...., Hes never seen a case of a Hypermobile SI joint before only a Hypomobile joint that produces different symptoms. He still wants the test despite my fears to look at the tare, and rule that out or treat that in addition to the SI joint. Problem is with the Hypermobile SI joint there is no real fix....PT, and injections can help and in the end if that does not give me the relief I am seeking there is surgery to fuse the joint, but with my surgical history....who knows.

Needless to say I was happy yet sad when I left. I'm still in pain and I HATE it...did I mention that. Oh and on the way home I managed to blow out a tire right in the middle of I-5!! Thankfully I was right by the exit by Pokeys Dad's work and he was just getting off so he came to the rescue but I had managed to get the tiny jack out and jacked up the car using my foot as I could not turn the darn thing with my arms...they would have come out...and I was not about to be that girl on the side of the road that could do nothing for herself...I knew I couldn't change the whole thing but I was determined to do something. When I finally came home, I got pokey some dinner and then collapsed onto my air mattress to watch my Peyton Manning win another game for me..(I'm now 2-0 in my fantasy league...tied for 1st!..yeah yeah were only going into week 3 but there are only 2 of us in 1st!)

Pokey Asked me for a glass of Grape Soda and I told him just a minute and then I woke up to Pokeys Dad coming home. I just started crying. I was hurting yes, but I felt worthless...maybe that sounds harsh, but it sucks to have your kid ask for something and you tell him just a minute and you close your eyes out of sheer exhaustion and pain and wake up and hour and a half later. He was fine mind you, he just let me be, and if he really needed something he would have woke me up but I just hated the fact that it happened. I hated the fact I didn't do the dishes and get a load of laundry done, I hated the fact I just lied there and did nothing. I hated the fact that this has becoe the pattern of my life the past 9 months... Its like the pain and exhaustion won again. They seem to be winning more and more these days....jerks. I know part of it is keeping up on my medication but in some ways I feel its a cop out at times. Maybe if I didn't have a mom that has been addicted to painkillers for 20+ years I wouldn't be such a stickler about taking them, I don't know what my malfunction is sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi GM,
    We have LOTS to talk about. :) We are just on the other side of the airport so we'll practically be neighbors!
    I'm at joy.elise @ gmail.com
    Thanks for finding me!
    ~e

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive just read your struggle and truely feel for you and can relate.I and my son have hypermobility and I've had chronic back pain and a dislocated invertabre and si joint.It is debilitating fustrating and depressing.I need to tell you what was told to me and changed my life,Has any one mentioned ehlers-danlos syndrome,severe hypermobility is usually this.Once it was suggested.It was like waking from a night mare.It all made sense and can properlly manage my and my sons illness.I too refused pain medicine and struggled with taking addictive medications,as my dad was on them for years and was what i considered a addict,I did know of his back problems but it wasn't mention as much as his addictions.Now i realize ehlers-danlos is genectic,He had it.But not being aware,no one focussed on his chronic pain as he himself managed it.He wasn't flat on his back or crawling around to make dinner for kids,wich was me untill,I started to manage my pain and stopped letting the pain control me.I hope you find the relief I have.Thank you for your humor in telling your tale I can totally relate.I had all the neeedles in the spine ,all the stupid dislocations,if you don't laugh youd cry.Ehlers danlos can be life threanting so find out,my father and his died in their 40's ,they didn't have the information we do.i am determined to beat the odds.Knowledge is key to over coming any thing.Fear and pain can ruin you,taking control is empowering.I haven't beaten it but I am in controll now,I wish the same for you.Thinking of you Laura

    ReplyDelete