Friday, September 4, 2009

Growing Up and Letting Go...

Well today I did it. I walked with Pokey in hand, talking the whole way and I watched as he disappeared into the realms of his very first classroom. Today was his first day of Kindergarten. He was very excited but as we got closer to the school and he realized that he would not have his beloved "foxy" with him he did admit to being a bit nervous. I told him I would bring foxy with me when I came to pick him up and not to worry at all because after all we had our kissing hands. ( Wonderful childrens book by the way "The Kissing Hand" ) He is even more excited because our neighbor is in his class too, so he already has one friend in his class, Lucky!

We went yesterday and met the teacher and dropped off the plethora of school supplies that were required of us. He enjoyed the time there and I had no doubt that he will fit in just fine. His Teacher gave him his own pencil holder for his special pencils and I'm not sure if that made him feel singled out or special as he had a rather strange reaction, but then again he was nervous. The teacher quickly changed the subject and asked him what color play dough he would like and of course he said Orange so she promised he would be able to get orange today, and then wrote it down on her desk! That made me feel pretty good, she didn't want to forget, because I tell ya Pokey sure would not have forgotten!

We also had to go and meet with the nurse to return our care plan, she too was very nice. Austin warmed up to her very quickly. She told him at any time if he needed to ice his elbows ankles or knees he could come on in, and get the ice packs himself and just have a seat. She asked him if he knew how to use the ice packs and he said "oh Yeah". =) I was not sure if they would have recess and it turns out they do, so we shall see how that goes. He should be starting his PT soon to get those ankles strong strong strong! Or at least that is the hope, they are so darn loose now you can almost touch his toes to his shins! Sheesh.

I miss him already. But I have my Kissing hand. Pokey loves me Pokey Loves me. I was not the crazy parent that video tapped every moment for like 20 minutes, nor was I the parent in matching polka dots with my child...but I did snap a few photos and a short 25 sec video but I didn't cry!...Thought I might as I walked away but I didn't. I cant believe its school time already, theres no turning back from here. Hes a smart boy and I know he will do well, I cant wait for the stories he will have to tell me! But I do miss sleeping in on our Fridays!
Pictures of him yesterday when we went up to meet the Teacher.
Sitting at his desk Coloring.
This morning all ready to go!
He just adores this backpack!

Out the door at 7:50
I'm not sure, either hes nervous or hes sick of me taking pictures.

Just sitting at his desk.

We made signs for Grandma Jule this morning and I took Pokeys Picture with them. I am going to get them developed as 8x10s and have Pokeys Dad take them down to her. She was finally extubated yesterday afternoon but is very scared and it a lot of pain. Hopefully today she will be moved out of the ICU.







No comments:

Post a Comment