Saturday, September 19, 2009

Hes Stronger than me!

So on Wednesday when I took Pokey to school, I went to give him a kiss on the hand. (We use the kissing hand, when he misses me he can take his hand and rub it on his cheek and think to himself that mommy loves him, mommy loves him,....when he was getting ready for school I read him the book called "The Kissing Hand" so he would not have any separation anxiety) Anyway..he looked up at me and said, "Mom, I don't need the kissing hand anymore"...I said "You don't?"...He then smiled and said "No Mom you are like God, you are always in my heart".
Talk about make me melt on the spot!!! I thought But wait.....I still need my kissing hand...but I didn't, I just stepped back and let him go, hes getting so big I cant even believe it.

Turns out he is quite the character too, since all of the adults in his class go by Mr. or Mrs. he feels that he can be called Mr as well and so in front of his name on all of his papers he writes Mr.! He has already been the line leader, calendar helper and classroom helper and he is very proud of that. He did get switched from the am class to the pm class but that was okay, he still has the same teacher they just had too many kids register for kindergarten at the last minute so at first his class had 42 students in it, now there are 20...much better!

I meet with the OT lady on Wednesday and they do want to put him on whats called a 504 plan. Its just a plan that clearly spells out any modifications and/or accommodations that will be needed for him. I think it rather silly to set it up now as being hes only in kindergarten, there is not much to worry about other than his writing and being careful in PE, its when he gets in the later grades where things become more extensive, but they feel putting it in place now would be the best plan of action. So i have gathered up all the literature I have from the Ehlers-Danlos foundation about meeting the needs of a EDS child and so on and will have our meeting on Wednesday, my fear is that they are just going to try so hard to "fix" the way he writes and hopefully they will listen and realize there is no fix, it is how it is and you can accommodate it, heck hes been writing for quite a while now and no, its not perfect but he can write more than most his age, who cares how he does it, the bottom line is he does it right!!

We were able to go the Puyallup fair last week. We got in for free and got a great deal on parking, then spent hours wandering around the fair. I would have rented a wheelchair but they were all out when we went to inquire about one! So we just took lots of rests. Pokey had a great time, he rode on rides, made a doodah bird, and got to be a cow in a play! We declined to try the chocolate covered bacon, Pokey and his Dad stuck with Corn Dogs and I had a Proshky...yum..

Grandma Julie is doing great, she got her staples out on Monday and has been able to take walks around the yard...one lap at a time. It really helps her spirits to be at home. They should have the results of the pathology of the cancer back this week, apparently they know its cancer but when it comes to kidney cancer there are many forms and it has to be tested to see exactly what kind it is.

And of course FOOTBALL season has started and that brings us to Fantasy Football! I played Pokeys Dad in my first game of the season and I am happy to report that I.....won!! and I plan to do the same this week! The Seahawks looked good but I tell ya I still cant stand our QB...by the way the first 5 minutes of our game went I could have smooshed that guy!! But in the end he pulled it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment